Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday morning humor...

I hope you're waking up to a marvelous Monday morning!  I think it's great to start the week with a good chuckle, so I thought I'd share.  Feel free to laugh.  Your not laughing AT me, your laughing WITH me ~ because I was, and still am, laughing about it.

If you happened to see the last post, then you know that I had a speaking engagement this past weekend.  It was so much fun!  This event was entitled 'A Woman's Legacy,' and this group of ladies took it over the top with their decorations, food, and gifts.  Everyone was truly blessed, especially me.

So, to the funny part.  After a lovely dinner, it was my time to pop up on stage and share.  I always get a little nervous at first, so I try and be very careful when walking up the stair to the platform.  I had decided to wear cute shoes, just because they were cute, and I wore these high red wedges.  I had long jeans, high heels, a patterned scarf, so you see, I was hip & cool.

I made it to the mic without a hitch (or trip), so I told them all that I was so grateful not to have a "Miss Congeniality" moment in my cute shoes, as I have done before strolling down the streets of New York city.  In my head, I breathed a sigh of relief and started speaking.

Now we had been served a delicious 'legacy' type meal of recipes that your grandmother might have passed down...chicken pot pie, green beans, peach cobbler, etc.  It was yum-my!

Anyway, about 15 minutes or so into my testimony, I felt a little air pocket begin to rise up the center of my being.  Now some may call this a belch or a burp, but if you keep your mouth shut, it's just an air bubble.  However, this little bubble of air was threatening to make an audible appearance.  I waited until just the right time, closed my mouth tightly & swallowed it back down, smiling all the while so I didn't look like a freak.

Somehow, instead of going back where it came from, this little bubble of air exploded in my throat. Normally, this would go unnoticed.  However, when you have a microphone an inch from your face, every sound tends to get picked up and broadcast around the room.

In the split second that it took for me to hear the "BWAAAAAMP" reverberate in the monitor, a stream of thoughts ran through my brain; 'You have got to be kidding me...I just burped in front of 200 women, 200 southern women...I am supposed to be a southern woman...What would my Grandmother say...I bet this never happens to Beth Moore!'

I immediately said, "Oh my, please excuse me."  Then I got tickled and just started rolling off things like, "Just call me 'Grace,'' 'You have got to be kidding me,' 'That was lovely, wasn't it,'" and so on. We all had a good laugh and eventually moved on.

Later that evening I learned that most of the room couldn't even hear it.  I guess the monitor just made it sound REALLY loud to me.  That made me laugh again because there were those that had no idea why I couldn't stop laughing, & just started rambling off these random phrases, trying to regain my composure.

Truth be told, there were a number of women there that night that needed a good laugh because the circumstances of their life would tend to produce more tears than laughter.  I am happy to be used by the Lord, in whatever way He sees fit.  As my Mom loved to say, "ALL things work together for good to those that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose."  (Rom. 8:28)  Amen, Mom.

I hope you have a lovely week, filled with the Joy of the Lord ~

Deborah

1 comment: