Thursday, July 14, 2011

Keep walking...

I am still using Sarah Young's Jesus Calling as a daily devotional, and it was one that I wanted to share this morning.
"Keep walking with Me along the path I have chosen for you.  Your desire to live close to Me is a delight to My heart.  I could instantly grant you the spiritual riches you desire, but that is not My way for you.  Together we will forge a pathway up the high mountain.  The journey is arduous at times, and you are weak.  Someday you will dance lightfooted on the high peaks; but for now, your walk is often plodding and heavy.  All I require of you is to take the next step, clinging to My hand for strength and direction.  Though the path is difficult and the scenery dull at the moment, there are sparkling surprises just around the bend.  Stay on the path I have selected for you.  It is truly the path of Life."
Have you ever had the feeling that there were 'sparkling surprises just around the bend?'  I know I have, and I do at the moment.  As soon as I read this this morning, my mind was flooded with memories of times that I felt like the scenery was dull at the moment, and the path was difficult, yet there always were sparkling surprises around the bend.  I'll give you some examples...

Starting in 4th grade with glasses, my physical transformation heading downhill (in my opinion) for the next SIX YEARS!  Seventh grade added braces, orthodics (Dad was a podiatrist), and a lovely back brace (after being pulled out of the health line at school with scoliosis).  Top that off with me being in a school play singing, "I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty, and witty, and bright..." not so much.  But, once 10th grade rolled around and I was set free of all of my shackles, I was surprised at how sparkley I actually felt.  Plus, I had forged a love for reading :-)

Fast forward to being in my late twenties...ALL of my friends were getting, or had gotten married, and kids were starting to come.  I, of course, had thought that I'd be married by twenty and have a house full of children by this time.  Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my life at this point, because I got to travel, eat out, buy shoes, etc., but I did hope for my 'sparkling surprise around the bend.'  Then, in the most unlikely of places, at the most unexpected moment, God gave me my 'sparkling surprise.'  This has happened for me not once, but twice, and it is always, always, always worth the wait.

The memories go on and on, from places to live, to jobs to take, to a daughter being delivered straight from the Father.  That story is almost reminiscent of a stork delivery, but it was a heavenly delivery~God is so creative, and clever...I know He delights with us as we experience our sparkling surprises!

So, as you travel down this path of Life, remember that He is there with you, guiding you step by step, and holding your hand along the way.

"You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."   ~Psalm 16:11 NIV

L'chaim!

Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment