Saturday, July 29, 2017

Why I do what I do

Why I do what I do…

For those of you that have known me a long time, you know that I’m a designer, and that I also am a network marketer.  For me, interior design began as a child in my great grandmother’s dollhouse that I was blessed to inherit.  I collected furniture and rearranged the rooms regularly, seeing how the spaces could be set and reset.  As soon as I was old enough to have a bit of leg strength, Mom said I would lock my door and she would hear my bedroom furniture being pushed around the room.  I could lie on my back and scoot the furniture around by pushing it with my feet. (If only I had come up with the concept of those little ‘man mover’ discs back then!) I was quite persistent and got pretty good at reinventing my space.  Once the door unlocked again, she could then come see my ‘new’ room. 

I have always loved color and fabrics, and just before I went to college, I learned how to do personal color analysis from one of the leaders in that concept at the time.  It was a great way to make some extra money while in school, plus I loved doing it. Most of you have probably never even heard of the idea, it was that long ago (yes, I am THAT old, lol!).  Once I was properly trained, I would drape clients in lots of different solid fabrics and we would see what palette suited them best.  Winter, Summer, Spring, or Fall, or sometimes a bit of a combination was best.  Then we would find the right shades of makeup and their best metal for jewelry.  My clients would leave feeling great, with a little plastic flip/fold sleeve with mini fabric samples of their color family, and tailor made sheets to help them shop. (Believe it or not, when you wear ‘your colors,’ your face naturally lights up and you do look your best.)  During my training, I used to go to my instructor’s home where part of the training involved her taking about 300 squares of solid fabric (about 20” x 20”) and scattering them all over the floor.  I would then go through them, fold them and sort them according to season.  There would be lots variations of blues, greens, pinks, yellows, grays, browns, etc.  Once I was finished, she would go through and correct any that I missed, showing me my mistakes.  Eventually my stacks were always correct.

I believe as we move forward in our lives, the gifts and talents God gave us initially build upon each other, and if we are willing to learn, we get better and better at everything we do.  My mad moving skills as a child gave me a start into being able to recreate spaces for clients today.  I often go for a consultation and leave with the space already shifted in a new direction. I love working with someone and taking what they already own and reinventing it, or starting fresh and giving them a great new space, often incorporating the old with the new.  I thoroughly enjoy blending colors in ways that can be unexpected, but flow together so that you truly love being in your space.  It all started long ago and has been honed over the years (& years & years ;-) by learning from people better than I, and being willing to learn.

That’s the designer side of me.  The network marketer side began with my parents, especially my Dad.  Dad had a heart for people and he loved to serve, encourage and support everyone.  Anytime our doorbell rang and someone was selling something, he’d invite the person in and let them share what they had to offer.  Mom used to buy Avon, and I always loved getting the little sample lipsticks that were dropped off with her order.  When the Rainbow vacuum salesman came and dropped dirt on our floor and showed Dad all that came up with it, he bought a vacuum.  I must admit, I still use a Rainbow today because it does its job quite well, making my home feel and smell clean (which makes me smile).

Dad was a podiatrist, so he had a pretty significant career, but he also got into network marketing selling a health product called Barley Green.  This was long ago, when network marketing was a new concept and not very widespread.  I can still picture how his eyes lit up as he shared this new drink and all that it was doing for him.  We all got healthier a bit, and at the very least, we put some good things into our bodies to counter act the sodas and such.

I first started network marketing in my 20’s with a cosmetic company.  I had a great job at the design center in Atlanta, but I thought this would be a fun add-on.  I did parties, facials, and mixed my color skills in with my new skin care skills.  I thoroughly enjoyed making new friends & getting together for girl’s nights out. I did well and my friends loved how their faces looked and felt.  It was a win/win.  I can’t remember why I stopped, but I think it was when I left to study in Paris.

Over all the years, design has always been a constant.  I worked at the design center for a long time, and then I worked for one of the top designers in the field for a few years.  I’ve owned my own design business for many years now and still absolutely love doing it.  It makes me smile J

During these same years, I’ve gone in and out of network marketing while designing.  I’ve always chosen a company whose products are excellent and bring value to my life and the lives of my clients.  Many of you have supported me along the way, and I do so appreciate you! I loved making memory books and seeing the stories of my friend’s lives unfold on the pages of their albums.  I enjoyed helping people decorate their homes and bring a little light into their life with candles that burned better than any on the market.  I smiled as I moved into the health and wellness side of things and shared (with a twinkle in my eye) what was making me feel better than ever. 

I was asked the other day why I recently changed companies after 5 years…was something wrong with the one I’ve been with?  Absolutely not.  The short answer is simply that I found a stellar company whose products are clean and have been successfully sold worldwide for almost 30 years, and they work better for me personally.  Plus, I know it will also be better for my clients.  We offer a 100% money back guarantee, so I can share knowing that the company stands behind our products fully and completely, which I’ve not had previously.  Overall, I truly believe that most products sold through network marketing are superior to others out there because the dollars spent are going into the product instead of into overhead, rent, etc.  Am I doing well?  Yes.  One, because I have something to share that actually can make your quality of life better, and two, because I work hard to learn what I can to be the best me I can be.  I try hard not to be ‘pitchy,’salesy’ or ‘spammy,’ because no one wants that. (If I’ve ever come across that way to you, I apologize!) However, if I hear you mention something, and I know that I have a product that can truly help, I may reach out to you, simply because I’d hope you would do the same for me.

Like my father, I love to serve, encourage and support those around me.  If I need a tool for my kitchen, I will try and order it from a friend that sells Pampered Chef or Tupperware.  If a neighbor opens a restaurant, I’ll go and take friends.  When a colleague is walking to raise money for a charity, I’ll donate.  When what I choose to use is available through someone I know, I’ll always try to support him or her, whether it’s through networking or traditional means.

Why do I do what I do?  I love life.  I enjoy meeting new people, building relationships and sharing this journey together.  It makes my heart happy when I get to help you make your home a place you love to live.  It also blesses me when I can share something with you that can make your day better and add to your quality of life.  And, quite honestly, we like having an additional stream of income to help us out along the way.

So, if you’re in need of a product or service, reach out to me…if I can’t help you personally, I’m sure I can recommend someone great to you (I have a lot of resources all over).  However, if you could use some help making your home or office the best it can be for you and your family, I’d like the opportunity to serve you. And if, like me, you find that along the way you need to lose some weight, or find your skin sagging south more than you’d like, or maybe your joints are letting you know who and where they are, or you simply want toxin free things like toothpaste, shampoo, skin care, or dish or laundry detergent…I’m your girl ;-) You don’t have to stalk my page to try and figure it out…simply reach out and ask me.  I’ll share and see what may work for you.  I look forward to serving you and sharing life together.

Life is short…let’s live it well!


Deborah 

No comments:

Post a Comment